03 Mar We’re B Corp Certified!
Putting people and the planet before profit has always been our vision at Glen Lyon. Our commitment to zero waste and having a positive environmental impact have seen us, among other things, pioneer the use of compostable coffee packaging in Scotland, install solar panels on our roastery roof and plant hundreds of trees in the Highlands.
That is why we are so proud to announce that we are now a B Corp certified business.
Part of a global movement using business as a force for good, B Corp companies meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, accountability and public transparency. Getting our B Corp certification has been a rigorous, year-long process that has assessed us on environment, community, governance, workers and customers. We are thrilled with our high score of 104.2 that we achieved on the impact assessment and hope to build on this in the years to come.
Here are some of the step that we have taken on this journey to becoming a purpose driven business:
- Building direct, long-term relationships with producers and trading partners.
- Pioneering the use of compostable coffee packaging in Scotland.
- Setting up a Coffee Academy to help young people in the community into work
- Calculating our carbon footprint at the roastery every year and offsetting this with tree planting in Perthshire and Inverness-shire
- Investing in energy efficient machinery, an electric car for local deliveries and installing solar panels on the roastery roof.
- Fundraising for the Scottish environment charity Trees for Life with sales of our ‘True North’ coffee
- Offering staff paid volunteering days in the community and personal development grants for further study
- Hosting our space for community events including a monthly Repair Cafe.
B Corporations are committed to building strong, resilient communities and we are so grateful to be able play a part in both our amazing local community here in the Highlands as well as the speciality coffee world at large. We look forward to shouting from the mountain tops about this global movement that’s genuinely changing the way business is done in this precious world of ours.